Saturday, November 13, 2010

Spoken English Exercise to Share Your Thoughts

This is a very simple Spoken English Exercise to understand, but one of the most difficult when it comes to doing it. The exercises that I am discussing, are a set of activities which I had done in my English Improvement Course, and found them very useful.

Though there could be many exercises for English improvement, but I will stress that today's exercise is very important, and must be practiced and performed on as many occasions as possible.



Objective:-

To make the students speak in public places, so as to take out the fear of public speaking/Seminars within him/her. To build confidence in the speaker to speak in public.



Requirements:-

  • This exercise can be practiced alone, but must be performed in a class.
  • A person who is good in English is supposed to be mentoring the session.


Spoken English Exercise Rules:-
  1. Assign the class a time of 15 min, and ask them to speak on any topic they are comfortable with for at least 3 min.
  2. Let the students prepare for 15 min on their topic of choice, then call them one by one.
  3. Ask the person to speak for at least 2-3 min in front of the class.
  4. Let the person complete the task and do not interrupt in between. Make sure no one laughs in the class at mistakes, since this is very demotivating and embarrassing.
  5. After the task is done, inform the student about his mistakes and areas of improvement.
  6. Repeat with all the students.

This exercise sounds simple, but believe me it's the most dangerous of all. I have seen people shiver before getting called on the stage for their turn to speak. The basic aim is to boost the confidence level of the speakers for public speaking. The key is practice and consistency.


Other articles that might be of interest:-



Cheers,
Amit.

2 comments:

  1. i have found your website to be very useful. i have never actively participated in free speeches because of the stage fear in me and now i dont want to hang on to this fear anymore because it is causing a lot of problems academically and personally. i will be greatful to you if you can suggest a couple of other things that i can do to overcome this problem.
    thank you
    rishi tandon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rishi, glad you liked my blog.
      One thing I know for sure, that we need to free our mind. Whenever I face such public speaking events:-
      1. the first thing I make my mind remember is that it's the listener good luck that they happened to hear my thoughts.
      2. No one can stop me from speaking during that duration, they like or not.
      3. A small joke or humor sentence often lightens the mood of everyone, and would be very good in relaxing your mind.
      4. Finally, the most core factor is that no one is going to kill me if I made mistakes in speaking. So why do I fear.

      These are small things, but make a very big difference. I am working on my new blog which contains videos for English improvement(http://englishimprovementvideos.blogspot.com/). Hope it will be beneficial to all. Best of luck to you. Keep trying and never give up.

      Delete