Sunday, September 20, 2009

How to improve vocabulary

Improving vocabulary is not a cake walk. It requires very high efforts from the individual. Today Improve Spoken English is coming up with a very important article on on how to improve your vocabulary. I have done it myself when I was preparing for MBA. Today my friends are amazed by seeing the power of my vocabulary. It happens many times that they say some word, and instantly I say the meaning of that word. It impresses a lot.

I will start from the beginning, from the very starting my vocab was very weak. In-fact i don't knew the meaning of very simple words also. My friends used to laugh at me, but I was not concerned. The things changed, when I decided to prepare for MBA (Masters of Business Administration). I decided to go for the CAT (Common Aptitude Test) for IIM's (Indian Institute of Management). When I started to give mock tests for CAT, I realized that I was good in Maths and Data Interpretation, but every-time, I used to score very low in my vocabulary and English Section.

So I decided to give it a pull shot. I tried many short cuts on various sites, but all of them used to define some words only. I wanted an exhaustive and decent way to improve. When I was fed up with all the short cuts, I finally realized that "there are no shortcuts to success". So I picked up a dictionary. The dictionary was a decent one, with about 3000-4000 words. And I started to cram every page.

My room partner used to laugh at me by seeing that I am learning every page and every word. But to his and my surprise it started to work. I broke my work in 26 modules, one module for each alphabet. Then I started from alphabets which have less number of words, so as to gain confidence as soon as possible. Infact I started from the alphabet "x", which has the least number of words. After learning this, i moved to "z", then all the words starting from "y", and then so on.

I never used to overburden myself. My daily routine consists of learning at least 20 new words, and the most important thing was to give a revision to the words I learned earlier. I asked my room partner, to take that dictionary, and ask the words in random manner from a particular alphabet. To our great amazement, I always used to score with more then 95% of the words as correct.

The most important part is to revise the words which you learned earlier, or slowly the words will dissapear from your memory. Slowly I covered almost every alphabet. The maximum difficulty I faced was with the alphabet which has the most number of words. But still I managed to cover it anyhow.

The time consumed by me for this complete Vocabulary improvement process was about 6-8 months. But my vocabulary became rock solid. If you have a smaller time span, then you can start from a smaller dictionary with less number of words.

All the day I used to keep thinking about the words, even in the night while going to sleep, it used to happen that some word come in my memory and I am not clear about it's meaning. Instantly I used to get up and check the dictionary or else I would not have been able to sleep. Take this process as a very serious and regular one. Do not break your learning process or it can hamper your growth.

I remember that while giving the XAT (XLRI Aptitude test), there were three sections, one for vocabulary with 50 words, the second for mathematics with 5 questions (each question has 10 sub questions), the third section was for general knowledge.

I started from the general knowledge section, in which I knew the answer for 38 questions. Th rest I just guessed. Then I moved to the vocabulary section. There were 50 questions, and I knew the meaning of 49 words from those 50 words. It took me hardly 10 min, to complete that section. The maths section was very very hard, and I was not able to solve more that 1 question (with 10 sub-parts).

Finally I knew that I will not be able to make into XLRI because of my bad performance in the Mathematics section. The main point is that the confidence I achieved regarding my vocabulary was immense.
Even today I rate my self as very good in my vocabulary. All of my friends always keep asking me, about how was I able to achieve this level of excellence in vocabulary.

I would like to summarize my learning for all of you, for a reference.
  • Use a good dictionary, normally the one used for GRE is good enough.
  • Make a habit of learning 20 new words everyday.
  • Do not over burden yourself, as it might lead to frustration
  • Always revise the words which you have learned earlier.
  • Ask a friend or family member to ask words from that dictionary, and confirm the meaning spoken by you. This will help in analyzing yourself.
  • If possible, take mock tests for vocabulary.
  • Be consistent, and do not let breaks come in your consistency.

I hope that this article will be beneficial to all of my readers, as this is my personal experience, I bet that if you do it, then you also can attain these limits in vocabulary.

That's it for today friends. Do post a comment to share your opinion about this article.

Main Page

17 comments:

  1. Extraordinary article, simply mind blowing. I loved your spirit for improving vocabulary. I have been following your other blogs also, and am a real fan of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the heart touchable article about improving vocab. I really impressed by your language style. I'll definitely follow this article.. thanks a lot for sharing this most useful article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amit its a great article and thanks for sharing your expereince.It has given me a direction to improve my vocabulary.I also liked your article mentioning how people are afraid to speak in English/Tips to improve English as I am one of them and struggling to speak in English.Your aticle has motivated me a lot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you got motivated from my experiences.

      Delete
  4. hai sir..it is a great article and thankful to you giving your experience.it gives direction to how to improve my voccabullay..thank you verymuch sir for such a wonderful article.it also gives me lot of confidence and courage.thank you sir..

    ReplyDelete
  5. hai sir..it is a great article and thankful to you giving your experience.it gives direction to how to improve my voccabullay..thank you verymuch sir for such a wonderful article.it also gives me lot of confidence and courage.thank you sir..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a lot for put the article here... In SHAA ALLAH we'll boost our vocabulary at this way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that the article helped you.
      Regards,
      Amit Beriwal

      Delete
    2. very nice article,,,,loved the spirit..n its very gud method to improve vocab...all should follow the same

      Delete
  7. very nice article. i really motivated by it. you have discussed about all the difficulties and the simple solutions, that may appear during the learning process.. i am starting it seriously from today onwards...thank you so much for sharing your experiences...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks sir,for sharing valuable experience about vocabulary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Very nice article.

    how did you manage if a word has diff. meaning like as verb and as noun. pls let me know to follow your hints on this.

    thanks again

    ReplyDelete