Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Improve spoken English with a diary

Writing a diary is a good pastime for many, but it could be used as a potential tool to improve your communication skills also. What you know is what you write. It might be a personal incident or some review about something, it could be anything you wish to write. The main advantage is that while you write, you will have to pay special attention to your Grammar. We all know the importance of English Grammar for good spoken English.

So while you write a diary in English, you are also practicing your English grammar basics. Whatever you write in your diary, make sure that you read it again. Our third sense always tells us, that there is something wrong with a sentence. So when you will read your diary again, you will know where you are facing difficulties in framing a sentence, and where you are weak in your grammar. If you could get your diary reviewed by someone good in English or by an English teacher, then it would be very beneficial for your learning process.

There are many advantages of writing a diary in English. Some of them are discussed below:-

Helps improve your English Grammar
When you write something in a diary, you first speak in English in your mind. So overall it is helping you to think in English. The main advantage of writing a diary in English is that it helps you to improve your English grammar tremendously. We often read things and think that we have understood it, but when it comes to writing those same things on a paper, it is at these times that we get blank. It often happens in exams that we study too much and think that we are comfortable with the subject, but when it comes to writing on the answer sheet, we often struggle for the starting word. Same applies to English grammar also. Do write as often as possible, as it is a very powerful tool to improve your spoken English and personality overall.

Improves your English Writing habit
The more you write in English, the more you will gain the habit of writing. This is often helpful in exams, where we are supposed to fill long answer sheets. In such cases the writing speed matters a lot. By using this technique, you will improve your grammar and also get in a habit of writing English. It even has an impact on your handwriting. Do not try to write too fast, think over the topic that you want to discuss in your diary, gather some good English words from your vocabulary, and then start.

A good source of information
As you would be writing continuously in your English Diary, slowly it will become a good source of information for you.  That's good because it might be that you are making some notes for a subject, and in your exam time, those notes will come very useful to you. The effort is never wasted if put in the right direction, so don't waste time and get started. There might be other scenarios apart from exams, like you can make a collection of English poems, or some English jokes etc. The list could be expanded as per your comfort, the main aim after all is to improve the communication skills and get fluency along with accuracy.

Helps to remember old times
It's a wonderful experience to read your diary after a long time. You remember your old times, like ah.. that day this thing has happened. Memories are a good source of self relaxation, so make sure to keep your good memories in your English Diary, sad memories can bring discomfort if read at any time. Always try to write something positive. It will boost your overall confidence and personality. Think positive to be positive.

I hope I was able to make my point clear. Do leave a comment in case you liked the article. I am done for the day, Improve Spoken English will soon be back with yet another interesting article to improve your Communication skills and fluency.

Main Page

4 comments:

  1. I like this article! I've started writing my diary in English but what I want to say now is that I really like the way you write!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good article, I remember when I was younger I used to write about my daily events, my thoughts and my desires. It really helped me with my writing technics, my spelling, which was in every single word and in sentence structure. I kept it secret but eventually I lost it.
    I wonder whether writing a computerized blog or diay, helps as well as handwriting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah... same for me too. I used to maintain my diary, but my younger brother would sneak into it... so finally stopped writing very personal emotions or details... Lovely days...

      Delete