Monday, October 19, 2009

Record your voice in English and Listen again

We need to access our voice quality in order to judge ourselves. We constantly get English sources in this world like English songs, videos, books, movies, etc. We hear quality English, and so we know what is good English. But we need to understand the quality of English we speak ourselves. The best way for this is to record our own voice using a mobile phone or a recorder and then listening again. It helps to highlight our weak points. The first time I tried this way to improve my spoken English, I realized that my spoken English is not very good. I understand my weak sections and that was very beneficial in overcoming my faults.

For conquering this art, we need to be aware of the mistakes that we are making. Recording of sound can be done alone easily. Listen to your recorded voice again and again. Try to pick long paragraphs to speak. It might be some thought that you speak in English or you can also read from somewhere. But I will suggest that try to speak without reading from anywhere. It is essential because when we read from some resource or book, the we intentionally try to speak slowly and sounds better. But when we express our own thoughts then we came to know about our actual defects in spoken English.

There are many points which make this way of Improving Spoken English invaluable. Some of them are highlighted below:-

We came to know about our actual spoken English levels
When we hear our recorded voice in English, we can access our actual spoken English levels. Like for my case I used to speak very fast, and I never realized that. But when I hear my recorded voice for the first time, then I was shocked to listen to it. I never realized that I was so unclear in speaking English. From that day onwards I practiced on for speaking slowly in English. This is just a personal example, there might be some other issues with your spoken English which could be highlighted once you listen to your record voice.

We can decide the correct way to proceed according to the results of the recorded voice
As I discussed in the previous point, once I realized that I used to speak very fast, I worked to rectify this mistake. Same applies to all of us. Once we hear our recorded voice, we get aware of our mistakes. Then we can decide that what could be the best possible action to rectify this error. It is more of a continuous process as detailed below:-
  • We record our voice
  • Listen to it
  • Came to know about our mistakes
  • Work to rectify that mistake
  • Record our voice again
  • Listen to it again
  • Again check for mistakes
  • Work to rectify remaining mistakes
  • Record again......
This is a continuous process and is to be continued until the desired level of Communication skills and proficiency in fluency is not attained. Try this technique as often as possible to get the best results for your spoken English.

No dependency and hesitation
Again I would like to emphasize that we do not need any one else for this spoken English exercise, we can do it all alone. And I would prefer that it is done alone. This will help in getting the most out of us. The need is to totally relax and then start. In company of someone, a person cannot be totally relaxed. So overall there is no dependency on anyone to do this spoken English exercise and moreover as there is no one else involved, there is no hesitation in doing it.

Is a very effective technique
The technique is indeed a very powerful one to improve the level of Communication Skills. Once you try it, then you will come to know by yourself that this is one of the best ways to Improve Spoken English. Try this at home to realize the power and effectiveness of it.

I hope the article was useful to all. I am done for the day friends. Improve Spoken English will soon be back.

Main Page

2 comments:

  1. Great article. I did a double take when I learned that English was not your first language.

    ReplyDelete